DISTANCE SPRINGBOK TO GARIES: 112 km
In 1845, Garies was laid out on land given to the Dutch Reformed Church by the owner of the farm Goedeverwagting.
The village of Garies consists of one long street with a church, a cluster of houses and shops that are built on the banks of the stream Garies. The Nama people named this area Th’aries after the couch grass that grew along the banks of the stream and this was later changed to Garies.
- LETTERKLIP (letter stone)
Comprises several enormous, megalithic boulders carrying the names of early Namaqualand travellers.
- ROOIBERG HIKING TRAIL
- ANNUAL SPRING FLOWERS