DISTANCE SPRINGBOK TO CONCORDIA: 22 km
Concordia was originally established as a Rhenish mission station in 1852 and copper mining began in 1853 through to 1933 in the area.
The Boers used Concordia as their headquarters during the Anglo Boer war whilst Okiep was under siege. Today some of the magnifent examples of Cornish stone masonry still exist in addition to the original granery which was used as a hospital by the boer commados during the Anglo Boer war.
Activies and Attractions, Concordia
- GRANITE ORE BINS
Tweefontein Mine has outstanding examples of Cornish stone masonry. The New Prospect Mine houses another granit ore bin in excellent condition.
Graves of early Rhenish missionaries and unmarked graves of fallen boer soldiers.
- ORBICULE HILL
A national monument lying west of Concordia. Exhiting the finest example of orbicular diorite in the country. The rare rock tecture is the result of granitoid magmas separating while in a fluid state which forms concentric internal banding.
- RHENISH MISSION STATION
Established in 1852 in the same year in which copper was discovered in the area.
- UNITED REFORMED CHURCH
Stone church built in 1875 by Cornishment with the originals organ dating back to 1915. A fine example of outstanding stone masonry.